1822 – Munich -1866
A View of Bethany in Palestine
Oil on paper 17,2 x 26,5 cm
Signed with an intertwined monogram: AL
Inscribed on the mount: Orient Palästina / Bethanien / Löffler
The village of Bethany is east of Jerusalem at the foot of the southwestern slope of the Mount of Olives. It is mentioned in the New Testament as the village where Mary, Martha, and Lazarus lived and where the miracle of the Raising of Lazarus occurred. The modern name of this village , el-Azariah, derives from Lazarus’ name.